This modified Layens hive is based on the principles of the famous French 19th century beekeeper, Georges de Layens.
The hive is constructed with a mix of British and Western Red Cedar and insulated with 15mm Wool Wood. It comes with 13 Layen Deep Frames, wax coated strarter strips and a divider board.
The internal hive width is 1cm wider than the traditional version to allow interchanging with BS frames used by most beekeepers.
This 2024 version comes with a hinged lid so there is lilttle lifting involved once the hive is in place.
No separate equipment is needed making this ideal for out apiaries and a more hands off approach to beekeeping.
The Layens Hive :
- 25mm British Cedar carcass
- Total dimensions: 68cm W x 54cm H x 54cm D
- Max internal volume 70L
- Internal insulation 15mm Savolit Plus Wool Board
- 13 Layen frames & divider board
- A split 'wool wood' crown board.
- Hinged Phenolic Resin coated WBP hardwood ply roof
- Pull ot tray